Eye-Fi Direct Mode provides you with the freedom to send photos and videos directly to your Android smartphone or tablet. When you enable Eye-Fi Direct Mode, your Eye-Fi card will broadcast a pre-defined wireless network that your Android device can use to receive photos and video from the card. In order to use Eye-Fi Direct Mode, you will need to have the following:
- Eye-Fi Center version 3.3.0 or later
- Eye-Fi X2 card with firmware version 4.5021 or later
- Android device running Android 2.1 or later
- The Eye-Fi App for Android
- Computer and Android device with an internet connection
- Android device with WiFi enabled
Setting up Eye-Fi Direct Mode involves updating Eye-Fi Center, updating your Eye-Fi card firmware, deploying your Eye-Fi card's Direct Mode WiFi network, and pairing your Eye-Fi card to your Android device. After you complete these steps, your Eye-Fi card will broadcast its Direct Mode network to your Android device whenever it has media to transfer to the Eye-Fi app.
Part I: Enable Direct Mode on your Eye-Fi card
- Update Eye-Fi Center.
- Update your Eye-Fi card Firmware.
- Launch Eye-Fi Center and insert your Eye-Fi card.
- Select your card from the Device list and click the Settings icon.
- Select the Network tab, then select the Direct Mode sub-tab.
- Check the When no known Wi-Fi networks are in range, start the Direct Mode network check box.*
- Choose different settings for the Wait sliders, if desired.
- Click the Save button.
* Note: Your Eye-Fi card will only deploy its Direct Mode network if there are no other networks for the Eye-fi Card to join.
Part II: Download and set up the Eye-Fi App for Android
- Go to the Eye-Fi app for Android page on your Android device.
- Download Eye-Fi for Android.
- Make sure that Wi-Fi is enabled under the Wireless & network settings.
- Install Eye-Fi for Android.
- Tap Sign in.
- Login to your Eye-Fi account using the same credentials you use to login to Eye-Fi Center.
- Tap the Settings icon.
Note: If your phone has a Menu button, press it, then tap Settings in the menu that appears.
- Select Eye-Fi device settings, then select the Eye-Fi card you would like to pair with your Android device.
- Tap the box to check the pairing option.
- Select the media types you would like to transfer. If you are changing the pairing from another device, press Switch.
- Tap the Ok button.
- You will see a small pop-up at the bottom of the screen stating that you have successfully paired your Eye-Fi card with your Android device.
Your Eye-Fi Card and Android device are now paired. When your Eye-Fi card has photos ready to transfer, it will start a Direct Mode network. About 30 seconds later, your device will prompt you to disconnect from the internet and connect to your Eye-Fi card's Direct Mode network. Press the Connect button to start the file transfer.
Part III: Sending photos to your Android device
- Insert your Eye-Fi card into your camera and shoot several pictures.
- Start the Eye-Fi app if it is not already running.
- If prompted, click Connect to connect to Eye-Fi card Direct Mode network (this may happen automatically).
- Your phone or tablet will begin to receive photos in a few moments.