Eyefi Direct Mode provides you with the freedom to send photos and videos directly to your Android smartphone or tablet. When you enable Eyefii Direct Mode, your Eyefi card will broadcast a pre-defined wireless network that your Android device can use to receive photos and video from the card. In order to use Eyefi Direct Mode, you will need to have the following:
- Eyefi Center version 3.3.0 or later
- Eyefi X2 card with firmware version 4.5021 or later
- Android device running Android 2.1 or later
- The Eyefi App for Android
- Computer and Android device with an internet connection
- Android device with WiFi enabled
Setting up Eyefi Direct Mode involves updating Eyefi Center, updating your Eyefi card firmware, deploying your Eyefi card's Direct Mode WiFi network, and pairing your Eyefi card to your Android device. After you complete these steps, your Eyefi card will broadcast its Direct Mode network to your Android device whenever it has media to transfer to the Eyefi app.
Part I: Enable Direct Mode on your Eyefi card
- Update Eyefi Center.
- Update your Eyefi card Firmware.
- Launch Eyefi Center and insert your Eyefi card.
- Select your card from the Device list and click the Settings icon.
- Select the Network tab, then select the Direct Mode sub-tab.
- Check the When no known Wi-Fi networks are in range, start the Direct Mode network check box.*
- Choose different settings for the Wait sliders, if desired.
- Click the Save button.
* Note: Your Eyefi card will only deploy its Direct Mode network if there are no other networks for the Eyefi Card to join.
Part II: Download and set up the Eyefi App for Android
- Go to the Eyefi app for Android page on your Android device.
- Download Eyefi for Android.
- Make sure that Wi-Fi is enabled under the Wireless & network settings.
- Install Eyefi for Android.
- Tap Sign in.
- Login to your Eyefi account using the same credentials you use to login to Eyefi Center.
- Tap the Settings icon.
Note: If your phone has a Menu button, press it, then tap Settings in the menu that appears.
- Select Eyefi device settings, then select the Eyefi card you would like to pair with your Android device.
- Tap the box to check the pairing option.
- Select the media types you would like to transfer. If you are changing the pairing from another device, press Switch.
- Tap the Ok button.
- You will see a small pop-up at the bottom of the screen stating that you have successfully paired your Eyefi card with your Android device.
Your Eyefi Card and Android device are now paired. When your Eyefi card has photos ready to transfer, it will start a Direct Mode network. About 30 seconds later, your device will prompt you to disconnect from the internet and connect to your Eyefi card's Direct Mode network. Press the Connect button to start the file transfer.
Part III: Sending photos to your Android device
- Insert your Eyefi card into your camera and shoot several pictures.
- Start the Eyefi app if it is not already running.
- If prompted, click Connect to connect to Eyefi card Direct Mode network (this may happen automatically).
- Your phone or tablet will begin to receive photos in a few moments.