Eye-Fi Direct Mode provides you with the freedom to send photos and videos directly to your iPhone or iPad. When you enable Eye-Fi Direct Mode, your Eye-Fi card will broadcast a pre-defined wireless network that your Apple device can use to receive photos and video from the card. In order to use Eye-Fi Direct Mode, you will need to have the following:
- Eye-Fi Center version 3.3.1 or later
- Eye-Fi Card with firmware version 4.5021 or later
- An Apple device with iOS 4.0 or later
- The Eye-Fi app for the iPhone or iPad version 2.0.1 or higher
- Computer and iPhone or iPad with an internet connection
Setting up Eye-Fi Direct Mode involves updating Eye-Fi Center, updating your Eye-Fi card firmware, deploying your Eye-Fi card's Direct Mode WiFi network, and pairing your Eye-Fi card to your Apple device. After you complete these steps, your Eye-Fi card will broadcast its Direct Mode network to your iPhone or iPad whenever it has media to transfer to the Eye-Fi app.
Part I: Set up the Eye-Fi App for iPhone or iPad
- If you have not yet installed the Eye-Fi app on your iPhone or iPad, access the App Store and search for "Eye-Fi"
- Open the Eye-Fi app.
- If you have previously installed the Eye-Fi app for iPhone or iPad, tap the Settings icon and tap Sign Out.
- Tap Sign in.
- Sign in to your Eye-Fi account using the same credentials you use to sign in to Eye-Fi Center.
- On the Eye-Fi Card Setup screen tap the Yes button to receive photos from your Eye-Fi card.
- Tap the Add Network button.
Note: iOS4 devices will not see the Add Network option; go to step 11.
- Tap the Install button.
- Tap the Install Now button to add your Eye-Fi card's network profile to your iPhone or iPad.
Note: You may be asked to enter your iPhone or iPad's security passcode depending on your iOS settings.
- Tap the Done button.
- Tap the small Eye-Fi Center icon that appears.
- Tap the Copy Password button and then the Next button.
- Tap the Done button.
Your Eye-Fi card and iOS device are now paired.
Part II: Set up your Eye-Fi card for Direct Mode
- Update Eye-Fi Center if necessary.
- Update your Eye-Fi Card Firmware if necessary.
- Connect your Eye-Fi card to your computer using the Eye-Fi card reader.
- Launch Eye-Fi Center.
- Select your Eye-Fi card from the device list and click the Settings icon.
- Go to the Networks tab and select Direct Mode.
- Check the box next to When no known Wi-Fi networks are in range, start the Direct Mode network.
- Choose different settings for the Wait sliders, if desired.
- Click the Save button.
Note: Your Eye-Fi card will only deploy its Direct Mode network if there are no other networks for the Eye-fi Card to join. If you'd like to set up Direct Mode while in range of a network that your Eye-Fi card already uses, please remove that network from your card before continuing.
Part III: Add the Direct Mode network to your iOS4 device (iOS5 or later skip to Part IV)
- Leave the Eye-Fi card plugged in to your computer and Eye-Fi Center's Settings open.
- In Eye-Fi Center on your computer, click the Start Direct Mode Network button at the bottom of the Direct Mode settings screen.
- Open your iPhone or iPad's Settings and tap Wi-Fi.
- Tap the Eye-Fi card network (you may need to wait for a few moments before it appears).
- If your iPhone or iPad asks for a password, paste in the password that you copied in Part I, Step 11, then tap Join.
- Once your iPhone or iPad successfully joins the Eye-Fi Card network there will be a check mark next to the network name.
Your Eye-Fi card will create a Direct Mode network when it has photos ready to transfer and there are no other configured networks for it to join. All you need to do is connect your iPhone or iPad to the Eye-Fi Card Direct Mode Network (described below) to start receiving photos on your iPhone or iPad.
Note: If you are within range of a wireless network that your Eye-Fi card already uses, it will use that network instead of deploying its Direct Mode network.
- Insert your Eye-Fi card into your camera and shoot several pictures.
- Go to your iPhone or iPad's Settings and tap Wi-Fi.
- Tap the Eye-Fi Card network (it should appear in 10-30 seconds).
- Start the Eye-Fi app on your iPhone or iPad.
- New photos will appear on the Home screen in your Eye-Fi app as it receives them.
If you removed your Wi-Fi network from your Eye-Fi card in Part II, you can now re-add it to the card. Your card will use that Wi-Fi network when it's in range, and Direct Mode when the network is not in range.
Please note that if other configured Wi-Fi networks are available, your iPhone or iPad will probably connect to these even if your Eye-Fi card deploys Direct Mode. If this happens, you will need to manually connect to the Eye-Fi Direct Mode network before your iPhone or iPad can transfer photos. Only one phone, tablet, or computer can connect to the Direct Mode network at a time. If you have both an iPhone and an iPad, make sure only one device is attempting to connect to the network at once.