Eyefi Direct Mode provides you with the freedom to send photos and videos directly to your iPhone or iPad. When you enable Eyefi Direct Mode, your Eyefi card will broadcast a pre-defined wireless network that your Apple device can use to receive photos and video from the card. In order to use Eyefi Direct Mode, you will need to have the following:
- Eyefi Center version 3.3.1 or later
- Eyefi Card with firmware version 4.5021 or later
- An Apple device with iOS 4.0 or later
- The Eyefi app for the iPhone or iPad version 2.0.1 or higher
- Computer and iPhone or iPad with an internet connection
Setting up Eyefi Direct Mode involves updating Eyefi Center, updating your Eyefi card firmware, deploying your Eyefi card's Direct Mode WiFi network, and pairing your Eyefi card to your Apple device. After you complete these steps, your Eyefi card will broadcast its Direct Mode network to your iPhone or iPad whenever it has media to transfer to the Eyefi app.
Part I: Set up the Eyefi App for iPhone or iPad
- If you have not yet installed the Eyefi app on your iPhone or iPad, access the App Store and search for "Eyefi"
- Open the Eyefi app.
- If you have previously installed the Eyefi app for iPhone or iPad, tap the Settings icon and tap Sign Out.
- Tap Sign in.
- Sign in to your Eyefi account using the same credentials you use to sign in to Eyefi Center.
- On the Eyefi Card Setup screen tap the Yes button to receive photos from your Eyefi card.
- Tap the Add Network button.
Note: iOS4 devices will not see the Add Network option; go to step 11.
- Tap the Install button.
- Tap the Install Now button to add your Eyefi card's network profile to your iPhone or iPad.
Note: You may be asked to enter your iPhone or iPad's security passcode depending on your iOS settings.
- Tap the Done button.
- Tap the small Eyefi Center icon that appears.
- Tap the Copy Password button and then the Next button.
- Tap the Done button.
Your Eyefi card and iOS device are now paired.
Part II: Set up your Eyefi card for Direct Mode
- Update Eyefi Center if necessary.
- Update your Eyefi Card Firmware if necessary.
- Connect your Eyefi card to your computer using the Eyefi card reader.
- Launch Eyefi Center.
- Select your Eyefi card from the device list and click the Settings icon.
- Go to the Networks tab and select Direct Mode.
- Check the box next to When no known Wi-Fi networks are in range, start the Direct Mode network.
- Choose different settings for the Wait sliders, if desired.
- Click the Save button.
Note: Your Eyefi card will only deploy its Direct Mode network if there are no other networks for the Eyefi Card to join. If you'd like to set up Direct Mode while in range of a network that your Eyefi card already uses, please remove that network from your card before continuing.
Part III: Add the Direct Mode network to your iOS4 device (iOS5 or later skip to Part IV)
- Leave the Eyefi card plugged in to your computer and Eyefi Center's Settings open.
- In Eyefi Center on your computer, click the Start Direct Mode Network button at the bottom of the Direct Mode settings screen.
- Open your iPhone or iPad's Settings and tap Wi-Fi.
- Tap the Eyefi card network (you may need to wait for a few moments before it appears).
- If your iPhone or iPad asks for a password, paste in the password that you copied in Part I, Step 11, then tap Join.
- Once your iPhone or iPad successfully joins the Eyefi Card network there will be a check mark next to the network name.
Your Eyefi card will create a Direct Mode network when it has photos ready to transfer and there are no other configured networks for it to join. All you need to do is connect your iPhone or iPad to the Eyefi Card Direct Mode Network (described below) to start receiving photos on your iPhone or iPad.
Note: If you are within range of a wireless network that your Eyefi card already uses, it will use that network instead of deploying its Direct Mode network.
- Insert your Eyefi card into your camera and shoot several pictures.
- Go to your iPhone or iPad's Settings and tap Wi-Fi.
- Tap the Eyefi Card network (it should appear in 10-30 seconds).
- Start the Eyefi app on your iPhone or iPad.
- New photos will appear on the Home screen in your Eyefi app as it receives them.
If you removed your Wi-Fi network from your Eyefi card in Part II, you can now re-add it to the card. Your card will use that Wi-Fi network when it's in range, and Direct Mode when the network is not in range.
Please note that if other configured Wi-Fi networks are available, your iPhone or iPad will probably connect to these even if your Eyefi card deploys Direct Mode. If this happens, you will need to manually connect to the Eyefi Direct Mode network before your iPhone or iPad can transfer photos. Only one phone, tablet, or computer can connect to the Direct Mode network at a time. If you have both an iPhone and an iPad, make sure only one device is attempting to connect to the network at once.